7 Creative Ways to Use Carrots!
August 10, 2019
You should try and have at least one serving of an orange coloured vegetable every day. Orange vegetables like squash, sweet potatoes, and carrots, are high in vitamin A and beta-carotene which are believed to fight inflammation in the body. A serving of carrots is a ½ cup which is about the same as 1 large carrot or 7-10 baby carrots. Incorporating carrots into your diet may seem tricky or boring but rather than boiling them or eating them with dip, why not try some other fun ways to incorporate these veggies into your diet:
1. Carrot Smoothie - Add either raw or cooked carrots to your morning smoothie for a refreshing serving of vegetables. The bright colour will have even kids excited.
2. Carrot Noodles - Looking for a pasta alternative? Use a spiralizer or veggie peeler to create carrot noodles for a healthy stir fry or crunchy salad.
3. Carrot Hummus - Try blending in cooked carrots to a hummus recipe to spice up your lunchbox! Everyone will love the sweet twist on a classic snack. And you can serve it with carrot fingers too!
4. Carrot (and Ginger) Soup - Carrots and ginger are a winning combination in soup form! Add in carrots for a vibrant ingredient that will impress the whole family
5. Switched Up Mac n’ Cheese - Switch up regular Mac n’ Cheese for a healthier and sweet bowl filled with sweet potatoes and carrots!
6. Carrot Zucchini Muffins - Grate in carrots to add flavour and colour into a zucchini muffin recipe. Your family won’t even notice that they are getting a serving of vegetables!
7. Healthy Baked Carrot French Fries - Put a healthy twist on fast food by baking a batch of carrot fries. Just three ingredients and 20 minutes and you have a fun veggie to serve with dinner. To view the full carrot French fries recipes and for more creative orange veggie ideas visit: www.everdayhealth.com.
Stop by our Hospital’s Fresh Market from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm every Wednesday in the Cafeteria Courtyard to pick up fresh carrots, along with other local items.