Imagine you work with children who are about to undergo the scary prospect of surgery. You’d probably think of ways of making the experience easier for them. Maybe a little red wagon to help bring them upstairs to the OR? But how would you make that happen?
We’re all familiar with the concept of a workplace suggestion box: you have an idea for making things better, fill out a form, and put it through the slot. The Volunteer Association / Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Foundation Family CARE Grant is like that suggestion box except that it provides the funding needed to bring the idea to life.
“CARE” stands for “Care Advancements Recommended by Employees” – it’s a way to encourage ideas from front-line staff at the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre for improving patient care, and then provide them with up to $4,000 in funding to put their plans into action. The program honours the role employees play in patient care, and empowers them to make a difference.
To date, there have been a wide variety of projects funded through Family CARE Grants including:
- A blanket warmer for patients waiting in Diagnostic Imaging
- An armbicycle used in the Rehabilitation Department
- The restoration and installation of a York Wilson mural on the third floor of the Health Sciences Centre
- And (yes!) even a fleet of little red wagons as a fun mode of transportation for children going up to the operating room.
The only stipulations for the Family CARE Grant are that it has to improve patient care or the patient care environment at the Health Sciences Centre in some way, and that funding cannot exceed $4,000 (although larger requests are sometimes considered).
Each year, the program provides up to $60,000 in funding, with preference going to those projects that demonstrate the greatest patient need and benefit. These funds – $30,000 contributed by the Volunteer Association and $30,000 by the Health Sciences Foundation – come directly from our generous donors, many of whom designate their donations directly to the Family CARE Grant program.
Help Us Fund The Next “Little Red Wagon”!
For more information about the Family CARE Grants program or to donate to the program, please call the Health Sciences Foundation at (807) 345-4673. You can also donate online. Please specify that you'd like to donate to this program.
Apply for a Family CARE Grant
Employees who wish to make an application for a Family CARE Grant should download the form below, come by the Health Sciences Foundation office, or contact us at (807) 345-4673.
2020 applications are opening soon!
2019 Family CARE Grants
For the 11th year in a row, staff at the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre applied for Family CARE grants for the ‘little things’ that can make a significant difference to patient care. Thanks to funding provided by donors to the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Foundation along with the Volunteer Association to the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre, this year close to $64,000 was provided to fund 31 Family CARE (Care Advancements Recommended by Employees) Grants.
Here's a list of the funded 2019 grants!
1A Medical Oncology Unit
- Chemotherapy Chairs x 2 ($3,981.22)
- Commodes x 3 ($525.85)
- High Back Chairs x 5 ($3,351.85)
- Tympanic Thermometers x 10 ($2,011.40)
- Motion Activated Bedside Lights x 49 ($2,324.99)
- 3-in-1 Commode & Footrest ($1,050.43)
2A Medical/Renal Unit
- Fall Mat with Sensor x 10 ($2,398.90)
- Bedside Lamps x 10 ($386.40)
2B Medical Impatient Unit
- Seat Belt Alarms x 10 ($1,714.00)
- Inflatable Shampoo Basins x 6 ($511.00)
3C Surgical Unit
- Pneumatic Support Walker with Oxygen Tank Holder ($2,527.63)
Adult Mental Health Unit
- Anti Suicide Blankets x 5 and Smocks x 5 ($4,025.06)
- Kitchen Stove, Sink, Dishwasher, and Sink Garbage Disposal ($3,226.15)
- Guitar and Musical Instruments ($744.52)
- Safehouse Nightstand ($1,369.04)
Cancer Program/Outpatient Clinic
- Blood Pressure Unit, Anderoid Dial, obile Stand with Adult Cuff x 10 ($3,275.00)
Child & Adolescent Mental Health Unit
- Interactive Panel Device ($3,785.00)
- Fetal Doppler ($536.75)
- Speculum Light for Exams ($603.00)
- Portable Cardiac & Oxygen Monitor ($3,950.00)
- Toilet Safety Rail ($695.00)
Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP)
- Alzheimer's/Dementia Activity Blankets x 5 and Pillows x 5 ($696.45)
- 20 ft Tipi with Storage Shed, Birch Firewood, and Swiss Army Blankets x 20 ($3,997.00)
Intensive Care Unit
- Overbed Tables x 11 ($2,685.38)
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Breast Pump with Trolly x 2 ($5,000.00)
- Vac-Pac Surgical Positioning System ($881.00)
- Armboards for Spine Bed ($4,517.74)
- Bulkamid Scope & Sterilization Containers ($3,450.00)
- Boogie Board LCD Writing Tablets x 5 ($226.00)
- Folding Metal Patient Walker ($89.99)
Surgical Day Care
- Free-Standing Bar Fridge ($451.99)